like a dream

For those of you who know me personally, or have followed my blog for awhile now, you are probably familiar with our fertility struggle. For the past ten years Josh and I have longed to be parents. We’ve known with absolute certainty that it was something we are just meant to be. We’ve gone through IVF treatments, miscarriages and unimaginable grief, all while maintaining hope that it would someday happen for us. Most recently we were approved through the foster care system in hopes of adopting.

Well, about a month and a half ago, we got a phone call. It was a friend of mine who knew of a baby that was about to be placed for adoption. It was an unborn baby due in July, and his parents were actively looking into adoption. Yes, I did say, HIS parents… as the baby is a little boy.

We instantly got our hopes up, and prayed day and night that this connection would be the one. We contacted a lawyer, got some information of how “private” adoption works, and waited.

We were nervous to be hopeful, as we had actually received a few phone calls like this before, that never seemed to pan out, or somehow never made it past the initial call to get our hopes up… but this felt different.

About a week later the lawyers called us to let us know that the birth parents wanted to meet us. Again, we were overjoyed, and yet terrified to let ourselves feel how badly we wanted this. I paced the house, changed my clothes four dozen times, and made phone call after phone call to my mom and sisters to somehow set my mind ease before the meeting…

We met on a Thursday. I instantly liked them. Both birth mother, and birth father were obviously caring people who wanted to make the best decision they could for their child. They didn’t choose to give up a baby, they choose to pick out a family who could provide for their child the way they couldn’t. They met multiple couples, and read about several families, and selected one they thought best fit their child’s needs, as well as their own.

One agonizing week later, we got the call that they picked us. I cried instantly. I’m crying now just remembering the feeling I had when I got that call. We were (and still are) so undeniably happy, overjoyed, and terrified. I texted my parents, Josh’s parents, my sisters, and my close girlfriends one simple message: “They picked us!!!!”. And instantly my phone started ringing off the hook. One tearful call after another slowly marked the beginning of our dreams coming true. And we were thrilled.

I called my social worker to let her know about the private adoption so that we would be taken out of matching for the foster care journey we were already on…We signed papers with the lawyers and started the “official” process… and my uncontrollable urge to buy baby gear and clothes once again started spiraling out of control…

Birth mom is now in her 35th week, and we are “expecting” our baby boy in early July.

As with all adoptions there is some risk involved. Josh and I are choosing to remain positive and confident. I struggled a great deal about how soon I should tell the world, but as you can imagine, I can hardly contain my excitement. Ten years of waiting, and wishing, and hoping is a long time, and to be this close is nearly unbearable without being able to share the news.

I’ll keep you all posted as the upcoming events unfold.

Comments

I am unbelievably happy for you and Josh, Sara! I know how you have longed for this. You will be in my thoughts and prayers! Such a beautiful and exciting time!

what joy awaits you both! what a lucky, lucky little boy to be so loved and so wanted! all my best wishes to you!

on a completely different subject, i love the color of your walls in the living room – if you can, could you tell me the brand/color?

thank you!

Wow! This brought me to tears, I have been following your blog for about a year, and you always struck me as a woman who would make a wonderful Mama! I am so glad for you, I pray for all involved that the transition is peaceful, and that you get to bring your wonderful bundle of baby boy joy home to the place that has been so lovingly created for him. Again a hearty congratulations!

4. Raylene says

My fingers and toes are crossed for you. I wish you the VERY best. Hang in there and don’t forget to breath.

WOW! Amazing, it made me cry tears of joy for both of you. What a gift . I have three lovey boys and I would not trade them for anything in the world. best to you both. CONGRATS.!!!!

6. Kelley R says

Sara,
    I’ve been following your blog for years and I have never commented, but I thought that would change as of right now! Your blog and website are so inspiring to me. I am so, so happy for you!!! It did bring tears to my eyes reading your post. As a labor and delivery nurse, I’ve seen so many wonderful, successful adoptions, so keep up the faith!! Having a little 4 month old boy myself, I can tell you boys are so sweet and wonderful! You will love having a little boy!! I pray everything goes well for you. You will be truly wonderful parents! Kelley R, Chattanooga TN

7. Samantha says

I stumbled upon your blog by accident, just this morning, and now I am crying… tons of positive thoughts are being sent your way that all goes well, from birth to adoption, and all the years beyond! :)

Congratulations! My sister-in-law and brother-in-law had a very similar journey to yours in that they struggled almost 10 years with infertility, failed treatments, etc. and in March, they adopted an adorable baby boy. He is so precious and the biggest blessing! I will be praying that everything will go smoothly for you and that you will also get to experience the sweet joy of becoming parents next month!

Oh my gosh, I am sooooooooooooooo happy for you. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Can’t wait for more updates.
    Blessings to you and your family,
    Jeanette

10. RobinfromCA says

There is nothing left to say that hasn’t been said – I echo it all! They chose the perfect parents!

I’ve been a little out of the blog ring for quite a while, but I have never forgotten you. I’ve often wandered back to the blog, wondering whether or not you had adopted a child yet. I am so incredibly happy for you and your husband! I may not know you personally, but given your sincerity, and just how badly you (and your husband) seem to want this, I know in my heart you two will be GREAT parents. Congratulations to you! Can’t wait to see pictures of the little one (in his beautiful room that I’m insanely jealous of! hah!) and all your smiling faces. <3

– Ellie

12. Tam says

This is the first time I happened upon your blog but feel like I was meant to see this particular post. My hubby and I walked a similar path for nine and one half years. Twelve years ago we got “the call” and began the most wonderful journey of being parents to a beautiful newborn daughter. There are some days even now that I still pinch myself at the great blessing we received. God does work in mighty ways and in His own time. I wish all the same blessings for you. BTW, love your blog and am sure it will become one of my favorites. Best wishes from Allen, Texas!

Oh my goodness! This is the best thing I have read in ages! I am crying the happiest tears for you, and will keep you in my prayers.
    Many blessings,
    Andrea

Dear Sara & Josh~
    I am so very happy for you!
    I remember way back when you first started blogging and have seen you heart’s longing through these years. It will be even more wonderful than you can imagine to be Mom & Dad :)

Why do you have me sitting here on a rainy Saturday afternoon all teary-eyed?? :o) We are SOOOO happy for you and your family. You will be wonderful parents, Mom & Dad!

Sending much love and light your way,

J&J

16. Amanda Phillips says

I would like to offer you a very heart felt congrats even if I a little late in doing so.

Such a beautiful post. I was teary eyed reading it. I wanted to wish you congratulations and best wishes for all to go smoothly the next couple of weeks!
    Cerri

Congratulations, Sara and Josh! Though I am a new reader and hardly ‘know’ you yet, your story moved me to tears. I can feel your joy and look forward to ‘meeting’ your little boy soon. :) Robyn

Congratulations to you both! It is such an awesome feeling. You were specially chosen by the birth parents and by God! You are truly blessed and so is your son.

Paula

Ok, I am having some changes in my medication…. But, I have been following your blog for the last few years and reading your story I began to cry. You two seem like you will be the perfect parents. Myself being a health care professional I don’t understand why it seems like the most un qualified people get to have as many children as they want with no apparent problems. All the while beautiful and caring people often struggle…… You two will be blessed with a child and the child will be blessed to have you as parents……. I look forward to following your growing blog. Bless you……..

Clinton

Sara,
    Though I know we are strangers (you have a blog… and I follow it.) i just cant help but be so thrilled for you and your husband. As happy as if you were a close friend.Thank you for sharing your story and being so candid with your journey. YOU will be a great Mom :)

Lisa

Oh, Sarah! I’m catching up from being busy with mom things and as soon as I started reading this post I started crying! I am SO happy for you and Josh! Congratulations! God Bless!

I am honestly sitting here with tears steaming down my cheeks. I will be 34 years old this summer, and my mother still gets choked up every time she talks about the day she brought me home. that little boy? is blessed beyond measure. wish i could hug your neck.
    xoxo

Oh, happiness! I’m so happy for you both. I’m a firm believer that if you want to be parents, your baby is waiting out there for you. Sometimes it takes awhile for you to find each other.

This is so heartwarming! I cannot imagine the pain you have experienced and the antagonizing struggles of waiting. God is so good! Congratulations to you and your husband. You are going to adore being parents!

26. Julie-The Old Red Hen says

Just happened to swing by and read the exciting news. I’m so very excited for you!!! All the best. Can’t wait to hear more. ♥

27. Stacy says

I’m sitting here with a big ol’ lump in my throat. You two are going to be an awesome mommy and daddy to a very lucky little boy! I don’t even know you but I am soooo excited for you and thankful that the birth parents have made this most important choice for your new baby boy!!It’s going to more amazing than you ever imagined! Congratulations…WooHoo!

I heard your news via Jeanne. I have long looked up to you and have enjoyed your work. I am so positively, over the moon happy for you and your husband. I personally know how the infertility journey can be, and what an incredible blessing adoption can be. I’ve been blessed twice by it (I’m adopted, and I’m also a birthmother). Adoption can be an incredible thing! Welcome!!

29. mari says

I just stumbled upon here from pinterest.com. I’ve bought a few items from your shop, seen your house tour in magazines and I particularly always remember your shop because you are an O.C local. The last time I remembered seeing you was an interview in a magazine and you talked about the struggle and adoption. I’m so happy to read the great news here today and I’m overwhelmed with joy for you. so.. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Trackbacks