baby’s room

As promised, I snapped a few photos of the baby’s room today to share with you all. I may have gone a little crazy with the number of photos, but I’m nesting, can’t you tell? Some of these details you’ve seen before, but perhaps there are a few new details to satisfy your voyeuristic curiosities … (I say this only with love, as I SOOO have them too!)

My in laws helped me stitch up a custom bumper which we fashioned out of handmade mangle cloth and vintage lace. The opposite side is organic cotton sherpa, soft enough for baby’s touch. Both the lace and sherpa were purchased on Etsy, sherpa from Organic by Nature, and lace from Vintage Home Recycled. The bedskirt was also custom made with some black and cream ticking fabric.  I couldn’t be more pleased with how they came out. (The crib is from Pottery Barn Kids. I bought it in March of 2010, on clearance, so it is no longer available. The style name is “Harper”.)

My mom’s childhood bear has a place of honor atop a stack of vintage children’s books, which were estate finds, and a gift from a friend. The vintage book page butterfly mobile was also an Etsy purchase, from Royal Buffet. The small “wonder” pillow, and two lambs were purchased from Periwinkle Bloom. The antique swan push toy was a local find while out shopping my favorite local source, County Roads Antique Mall. The printers drawer, was also an estate find, as were most of the small chotchkes I found to fill it.

This wooden goose, I actually bought years ago, from Wisteria.  I knew it would be perfect for a nursery, and I just love it against the pale mint walls of the room. (Paint color “Turtle Dove” by Benjamin Moore).

Some more small details…. the crib, lamp on dresser and chandelier from Pottery Barn, diaper caddy from Barn House Boys. Little green wagon from the Sage Scottie, wooden puzzle from Just Hatched. Large white wicker baskets from Ikea.

I knew I wanted the baby to have the same Pottery Barn wicker hamper that both Josh and I have, so this smaller honey colored version, was perfect from Pottery Barn kids. The paper doll adds a girly touch to the crystal knobs of the cabinet I bought about six years ago from The Land of Nod.

I’ve been collecting antique dresses to decorate the room, just in case we get a girl, so they hang sweetly in the closet on child size wooden hangers from Ikea. (Ikea no longer sells them, but I found some similar ones on Amazon). I’ve always loved wooden hangers, and insisted upon them in our closets, so the baby had to have them too. Notice the “wire hanger” in there too, so no one starts quoting Mommy Dearest to me… :o)

Well there you have it. The grand tour, complete with a “where to buy” shopping guide… lol…  I think it’s pretty safe to say that this baby will be well-loved, and maybe even a bit, (dare I say it?) spoiled.

Comments

Hi Sara! I love it ~ Every corner is filled with love and joy. You cannot believe how much this room reminds me of the fond memories of my childhood…your mothers bear looks just like my fathers from when he was a child and the small cow in the typeset tray reminds me of hours spent playing with the farm toys at my grandparents home when we visited. How loved and fortunate your blessing will be. Thank you for sharing. Hugs ~ Rebecca

this is just perfect:). you’re going to have one lucky little baby:). thanks for sharing- i love every inch of it:).

xoxo,

Blair

3. Susan says

The room is beautiful!! I hope soon there will be a little baby enjoying all the comforts of it!!
    We too are awaiting our final approval for Fostering to adopt. I hope I soon will be decorating a room for someone special.
    Fingers crossed for both of us!

4. Suzanne says

All the happiness to you and your family. This is a precious room and so full of joy! Treasure each and every moment.

How well I remember the excitement (almost like it was yesterday) of decorating our adopted baby girl’s nursery with the help of some friends. We painted it a pale blue and used a vintage seaside border around the room. I also, wanted a vintage theme. We bought an antique dresser for her and my dh bought me an antique rocking chair so we could read to her EVERY night.
    It’s just the most exciting time! Your nursery is just beautiful…hope it happens soon!
    BTW, our dd is enamored with Winnie the Pooh so my dh and sweet father in law built her a Pooh bed, needless to say it’s a one-of-a-kind bed and, even at age 10 she’s not ready to give it up!

6. Melissa says

Sara- The room is breath taking…. I want to BE your baby:) What a lucky baby… and of course how blessed you will be when the little babe comes.. Love you and miss you. xoxo

Sara, your babies’ room is absolutely wonderful and exudes a peaceful calm as it’s waiting for the day it will be filled with LIFE. Blessings to you as you wait for that wonderful DAY!! Cate Tuten

So very sweet….thanks for sharing Sara. I love all the thoughtful vintage touches. Many memories will be made and shared in here. So special XOX

it’s just so sweet! wonderful job as always – i just love the feeling of finding little treasures here and there over time and then they all come together to make a special place with a story :)

wow sara. that is the prettiest babies room i have ever seen. honest. where are the disney babies plastered all over the wall? seriously, those are what my kids had. have a great day.

sara~are we going to see this absolutely gorgeous room in a decorating magazine someday? perfect job~it’s so warm, cozy & totally you! keep us posted. :) chris

Beautiful baby’s room! I LOVE it. Where did you get the door hanger “Go away leave me alone?” That is perfect to hang on my son’s door. Thanks, Pam

Such a perfect sweet room waiting for it’s perfect sweet baby.
    There is nothing that I do not love about this room, every lovingly saved sweet bit from your family, waiting for the new member to come snuggle in.
    Those loving grandmother and grandfather hands, helping .. it all makes me weep from the sweetness and love.
    I hope things happen soon for you, you all deserve it.

I think any baby that ends up in that room will think it landed in heaven..lovely job and fingers crossed for good news.

Adorable! It really is the little details that make a room special. Love the swan push toy and the swan finial on the lamp. Any little baby will have some sweet dreams in that room….

16. elma says

All I can say is that it is the most beautiful room ever!!! Some sweet little baby will be so happy on the lovely room!!! Each detail is so beautiful!!

Hi Sara !
    Oh it is heavenly – can I come live with you ?!
    It is a dream of a baby’s room – you’ve really made it a special, beautiful place. I love the soft muted colours and all the antique items.
    I know you’ve had a wonderful time collecting all these things together. I’ve stared to put together a few things and made a little patchwork quilt this last week too.
    We’re going to our Adoption Approval panel on Thursday morning ! Yay! Then we can start the BIG SEARCH !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy days to you,
    Denise x

Absolutely beautiful – I love it.
    I also have a garland of butterflies from “Royal buffet”, I think her work is stunning.
    Happy nesting.

Just found your blog via 6th Street. I’m in LOVE with your style! You did a beautiful job on the nursery as well as the rest of your house. Love the soothing color palate. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us:)

What an amazing nursery. I love the antique/heirloom feel of all the details. Your little one is a lucky one! :) Thanks for sharing.

21. andrea danielle says

What a beautiful room!!! I’m so excited for you. I do have to pass on a little info that I learned while antiquing in Michigan. Some older books were printed using lead based paint. I would have never had a clue!!!! I have old books all over my house, but luckily my boys are old enough that they would not be licking or chewing on them. And believe me….they chewed everything :)

Oh my goodness! This is just sooo gorgeous! I’m expecting my second bundle of joy and can’t wait to find out if it’s a boy or girl so I can start decorating! This room is such a great inspiration!

This is precious. It is one of the most gorgeous nurseries I’ve seen, and I’ve been scouring the internet for them since I am planning a nursery right now. I pretty much have the style narrowed down. I am using primary colors and vintage calico and patchwork fabrics from the 1970’s. And I’m going to incorporate plenty of woodland critters too. However, after seeing this beautiful room, I want to go with white.

Your nursery is beyond gorgeous – I love it! The wooden goose is perfect and the painter’s tray – what a great idea. I haven’t seen one of those for years! Such memories!

I would be honored (and thrilled) if you would consider entering it in the nursery contest on my site:

I’m always looking for gorgeous designs to add to my gallery to share with my readers and yours certainly qualifies!

This is the link to the contest if you decide to enter:

I look forward to showcasing your nursery on my site!

Helen

P.S. Don’t worry about spoiling the baby – that’s what they’re for. Little sugar bundles of love and kisses – it’s impossible not to spoil them.

25. Kerri says

This is adorable. Out of all the products mentioned, where did you purchase that “go away” pillow? Hilarious!

26. Beth says

Do you have nine or eight foot tall ceilings? I love your chandelier (Ella from Pottery Barn, right?), but we have 8 foot ceilings, and I am worried that it will hang down too low. Thanks and beautiful nursery.

Hey Sara! I LOOOVE the paint! Can I pester you for the color? I want to re-do my bedroom and nursery and I’d love this in one of the two rooms.

Thanks a mazillion gazillion :)
    Heather

28. Kelly says

Hi Sadie, Your nursery is just perfect. I am expecting mid October and since seeing your crib I have been head hunting for it.. but it doesn’t seem like pottery barn has it? Do you know another place where you can get it from? Hope so.. Kel xo

29. Kelly says

Hi Sadie, This room is amazing.. I have been trying to find the same cot as yours.. do you know of a place where it may still be available?

30. Kristin says

Where did you get your wardrobe? I have been looking for one for our nursery.

31. jessica says

just wondering where you found those adorable rabits on finials (on your shelves)
    LOVE the nursery! just precious

This is absolutely stunning! You are so talented and creative. I just love the pins in the apothecary jar. The whole room looks so elegant and I love all the extra touches.

The rack where you placed the figurines was such a great idea. Love it!